What color do we paint our coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by maurap, May 22, 2012.

1. maurap

maurap In the Brooder

May 22, 2012
    We are having a coop built- do we paint it a 'safe' tan color w white trim to match our house or a 'fun' color like barnyard red? I am leaning towards red or another 'fun' color- any suggestions?

2. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Songster

Apr 16, 2012
    Our house is a taupe color with creamy white trim and barn red shutters. I just painted the coop red to match the shutters and will use the same creamy white trim. But after that, my daughter is going to have a little fun with it- she is a junior in h.s. and quite the artist. I'll let her have free reign with it and she'll paint a fun little design on it! I wanted mine to fit in with my house, but also be it's own little piece of art.

3. maurap

maurap In the Brooder

May 22, 2012
    That's a great idea! Our house is tan w cranberry colored shutters and white trim. So I think a red coop in the backyard may stick out- I love your idea...I want my coop to look 'classy' yet fun....but not be an eye-sore in our backyard- that's why I was asking for suggestions...What will your dtr paint on the sides?

4. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Songster

Apr 16, 2012
    I'll just let her decide I guess lol. She says she has some ideas but nothing for sure yet so we will see!

5. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Songster

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    My coop is going to be butter yellow with brick red trim around the doors/windows and edges. It really is a great combination.

6. jasonmerritt

jasonmerritt In the Brooder

May 23, 2012
    Hendersonville, NC
    I went with a yellow coop with a dark green trim around it. I thought a lot about the lighter color to keep the coop cool in the summer.

7. crchickens

crchickens Chirping

Jul 9, 2011
    Blue Ridge, TX
    My coop is the same color as my house, a sage green. When we bought the house, almost the whole thing had been painted sage green,when they spray painted it. The front door was a cream color, and it was so boring. We painted our house front door and garage doors a nice spicy red to match our metal barn roof, and all of the trim on the coop is the same red. I love it!! I added a wooden chicken to the door, and black letters, spelling out EGGS on the side above the nesting boxes. It is adorable!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: