"What color egg" and "Shouldn't she be laying already?"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fshinggrl, Oct 4, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ok, this is chocolate. She is an Easter Egger who was the prettiest chocolate colored chick. I just noticed her ear color tonight. It appears white. Does that mean her egg is likely to be white? Or does her ear color mean nothing?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry, my keyboard ran out of batteries! This is Annie. She looks like she should be laying!!! Right?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Easter Eggers lay blue, green and pink eggs

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I just got my first egg today from a white-eared EE and it's a pretty green (you can see it on the egg countdown thread). She was born a week plus a couple days prior to Easter so that makes her ~23 weeks, I think?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  4. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You have me confused.
    The chicken on the bottom is not the same one as in the other pictures.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ear color means very little with Easter Eggers, as some white eared ones may actually lay blue or green eggs.

Now, for other cases outside the blue layers world, white earlobes usually do mean white eggs.

6. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Yep.. I know.. I've had brown/blue/green & olive eggs from my EEs in the past. Just never saw one with a white ear.

You have me confused.
    The chicken on the bottom is not the same one as in the other pictures.

You are right.. my keyboard ran out of batteries and the only thing I could do at the time was to add the photo. Good eye! [​IMG]

7. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Illia, I did not know that about EEs and white ear lobes! Thanks for the information.

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Agree with earlobe color meaning nothing with EEs, and so far as laying age, both are still at least a couple or so weeks away. Their combs should redden and the first big girl should develop some red wattles too. [​IMG]

9. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Our EE's will be 26 weeks tomorrow. I got a good "squat" and "fluff" from one of our girls this evening, so I am hoping that maybe by the weekend we will have an egg from her. When I bought these chicks, I thought I was hoping for a blue egg, but after reading all these posts, I am really hoping for an "olive" egg. Regardless, I love my girls, the eggs are amazing, and life is good!

10. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Quote:So Easter Eggers can also lay Olive colored eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by