1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color egg does a Golden-laced wyandotte lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by portlandpeeps, May 11, 2010.

1. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    I'm still trying to figure out if our wyandotte has ever laid an egg. Today I found an egg that looked a bit larger and whiter than what our bantys lay. Does anyone know what color eggs a golden-laced wyandotte lays?

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Mine lay a light brown egg.

3. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Mine lay a very pale brown egg.

<- You can see a couple in the bowl!

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    light brown, one of mine lays light brown eggs that looks a bit pink

5. skyblues22

skyblues22 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    I was always told that whatever color the chickens ear lobe are,,,that's the color of egg you will get.

6. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    Thanks everyone! It looks like she's never laid an egg since I've never seen one that's light brown. Color of eggs = ear lobe color? I hadn't ever heard that one! I had to do a Google search to find out exactly where you find their ear lobes.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

RE: Earlobes: Chickens with red lobes are usually brown egg layers, but there are exceptions like the Barred Holland, who is a white egg layer. Chickens with white lobes usually lay white eggs. It's a generalization that is usually true, but not always.

8. moriahw123

moriahw123 New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    Golden Laced wyandottes usually lay pale brown eggs. I guess you can compare the color to a sand color. One of my Golden laced wyandottes is finally laying! (so happy for her) Yup, and usually red earlobes mean brown layers. But don't tell your chickens apart by color because of their earlobes! Some chickens earlobes are white and they lay brown eggs!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  9. Angie16hearts

Angie16hearts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    California
    Do you have a picture of her egg? I have 8 laying and I am familiar with all but two I can't figure out . Is it close to a barred rock? Or lighter

10. crazychick1234

crazychick1234 New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    Did it work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by