what color egg will a 2nd generation olive egger lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chkinut, Dec 11, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i'm wondering what color egg will a 2nd generation olive egger lay? will it still be the same nice olive green color? or is the only way to get that color, is to use 1st generation?

2. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I have 3 americanas, and I don't really get the same color egg from them all the time sometimes it is lite some times theya re dark.
    they really do get the same fod all the time but no luck in figuring the color

3. SouthPhillyJim

SouthPhillyJim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2010
    Port Norris, NJ
    I think it depends on what you mean by second generation. If you breed brother to sister of this cross I think you would get a lot of different shell colors. Shades of brown and green. If you breed and OE back to a dark layer you will get an even darker color. My friend's f2 oe started laying recently and its a beautiful dark color. If you breed an OE back to a blue layer I think it would be a pretty green but not as dark as the egg it came from.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Olive Egger x Dark egg layer = dark olive egg

Olive Egger x Olive Egger = brown, green, sometimes olive eggs

Olive Egger x Easter Egger, Ameraucana, or Araucana = Greener shade of olive

5. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Illia:
    I have 3 Orp/EE, I know 2 are laying and I have gotten only brown eggs. All have the same dad. Two have the same mom. Not sure which of the two are laying. I guess the odds are pretty good that I will get brown with my last one?

Carol

6. SouthPhillyJim

SouthPhillyJim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2010
    Port Norris, NJ
    Quote:A bird can carry two copies of the blue egg laying gene. It is dominate so it needs only one. If one of the parents came from a blue or green egg and only carries one copy of the blue gene then you have a 50% chance. So I would think the odds are 50/50. Also if it has a pea comb the odds are better. Blue gene and pea comb are often passed together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by