What Color Egg would you get if...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jackie B., Jul 19, 2010.

1. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    What color eggs would you get if you crossed a pure Brown Leghorn roo with a pure Americana hen. She's already laying bluish-green eggs. Would they be brown? Or would they be blue?

Thanks!
    Jackie

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    What color are her legs? if she is laying blue-green eggs she probally is not an ameraucana but an EE. You probally would get more EE's that would either lay brown, green, pink or maybe a blue egg. I love rainbow layers weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I'm also thinking an EE because if you have true Ameraucana's you know the correct way to spell it [​IMG] Because they are not a pure breed you could end up with any color eggs other than blue because even a true Ameraucana crossed with a brown layer makes a green shade egg if it lays colored eggs...yours is laying so you know what color she's laying already removing the possibility you have a brown or white layer.Being a white egg layer other half you will usually get a lighter shade of the mint or white from the leghorn it doesn't matter which parent is which we use our Ameraucana and EE's both ways and end up with the same results.
    Leg color isn't a reliable way to tell EE's we have many with slate legs not the green associated with the EE...lots of factors involved first being color
    Edited to make it more clear on the EE genetics..was half asleep

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  4. Hi Jackie! I copied this a while back (posted by one / several of our folks here that have a grasp of genetics):
    Blue Egg Genetics

The gene for blue eggs O is dominant, birds that have either O/O or O/o+ will have the gene.

This gene is located extremely close to the pea comb gene P, again a dominant so either P/P or P/r+ will be pea combed.

These genes are nearly always inherited together. So any pea combed pullets are very likely to lay blue/green based eggs.

Green to Khaki eggs are blue eggs with a surface coating of brown pigment.

Daughters of:

A blue egg O/O male mated to a white egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay paler blue eggs.

A blue egg O/O male mated to a brown egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay green eggs.

A blue egg O/o+ male mated to a white egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay some blue eggs and some white eggs.

A blue egg O/o+ male mated to a brown egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay some green/khaki eggs and some brown eggs.

You shouldn't get any brown eggs but either all blue / pale blue or some pale blue and some white.
    edit: I don't think it matters which is male/female in the cross.
    Enola was crossing Leghorns and blue/green eggers, but I can't remember what she said she was getting. I do remember she was happy with the results.
    Good luck!
    Lisa​

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  5. Jackie B.

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    That's why I'm hesitant b/c the craigslist spelling was incorrect. Hello alarms! And I emailed her back to see what color the legs are to no response. I hope she doesn't think I'm trying to call her out but she needs to know what she's got before someone returns the chickens claiming false information! Maybe I"ll send her the BYC link.. [​IMG]

-Jackie

6. Jackie B.

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Enloa call me back! I don't want to use this other lady I found if I can get 2 of your girls!

-Jackie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by