What color eggs ? Any Guesses???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bald k9, May 18, 2010.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hello all what color would the eggs [might] be,with a white crested black x easter egger [regular brown leghorn] color be, and also what might the chicks look like? thanks for the guesses and info and pics if anyone has them thanks again!

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Any guesses????

3. Hi Ernie! From your post, it's hard to decipher what the cross is to even make a guess.
    I saved this info (posted by someone smarter than me):
    Blue Egg Genetics

The gene for blue eggs O is dominant, birds that have either O/O or O/o+ will have the gene.

This gene is located extremely close to the pea comb gene P, again a dominant so either P/P or P/r+ will be pea combed.

These genes are nearly always inherited together. So any pea combed pullets are very likely to lay blue/green based eggs.

Green to Khaki eggs are blue eggs with a surface coating of brown pigment.

Daughters of:

A blue egg O/O male mated to a white egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay paler blue eggs.

A blue egg O/O male mated to a brown egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay green eggs.

A blue egg O/o+ male mated to a white egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay some blue eggs and some white eggs.

A blue egg O/o+ male mated to a brown egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay some green/khaki eggs and some brown eggs.

IF that was even what you were asking.
    Good luck with your crosses!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:If for a complete novice , it might be better to clarify that one hen will not lay some blue and some brown [ or white ] ; some will lay one color , some will lay another .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by