What color eggs do mutt chickens lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bahamabanty, Dec 10, 2013.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Maybe a dumb question but I want to know. I would like brown (ish) eggs and wondering if mutt chickens lay white or brown eggs. Someone has some mutt local breed pullets available. (local bahamian chickens) I already have leghorns hybrids that lay white eggs.

Another question, if I feed the local chickens layer feed would they start laying better, like a layer breed (like a RIR or leghorns)?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Do you know anything about the egg color laid by the breeds that the local chickens you are looking at are mixes of? Brown egg color is dominant to white egg color, so mixes of the two wind up laying some shade of (light) brown eggs... but no guarantee on an individual bird unless you know the parents egg color since they could be a mix of white only egg layers like you already have, or even have a blue egg gene in there...
    You can maximize the egg laying potential of a chicken with good feed and care, but you can't change its genetics... so unless your local chickens are selectively bred to lay like leghorns, they won't lay like a leghorn no matter how you feed them.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    There are no dumb questions. Only dumb responses to the answers you get.

If you want brown eggs ask the hen merchant to allow you to pick out the hens that you want to buy. Then only pick hens with red ear lobes. You said that you already have white leghorns so look at them and you will see that each and everyone has buttermilk or white colored earlobes and you already know that they only lay white eggs. Well red earlobes will result in some shade of brown eggs.

Do be advised that hens that lay brown eggs tend to eat more feed and produce fewer eggs.

4. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Thanks for the replies. This is a "I know a guy who knows a guy who has some chickens" kind of a deal. :)
    My brother in law is on a different island and says he can "get me some eggs." So I was just wondering what kind of eggs I can expect.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    In that case "
    Caveat emptor"

1 person likes this.
  6. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    LOL yes thanks

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I bought eggs from a farmer that had about 75 chickens that were every color in the rainbow. I picked out 24 eggs from his "hen house" and took them home to the incubator. This was 1 year ago. Every chick that hatched was black, and today are laying brown eggs. Good luck with whatever you get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by