1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color eggs do white leghorns lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PrestonSloan08, Aug 4, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Ok so I have a white Japanese bantam hen(lays white eggs) two silkie hens(i just got them) and a white leghorn hen(which I have had for 2 years and is yet to lay an egg)! And I just wen out to check on them and the leghorn was in one of the nest boxes, and she ran out when I walked in! And there was a light brown egg in there!! And I have seen one of my silkies in there today as well!! Which chicken layer this egg? My silkie hen or my leghorn hen? And it was also kindof small which makes me thin it was from my silkies!! ( it was the same size as my Japanese bantams eggs!!

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    leghorns lay white eggs.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:X2 Yup big Ole white ones at that for as little as the birds are.

4. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Well I think that is what she is!! She looks just like it anyways!! Well then I wonder why she was in that nest box!?!? She need to get the heck out of there!! [​IMG] but I have heard that silkies lay white eggs too!!

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Is your signature current? If you have a Dominique, I'd think it was her.

6. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Well I do have a dom. but it is only 4 weeks old!! Definatly not laying!! But I just went back out to examin the egg and it was more of a cream kind of color!!

7. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Are you sure she is not a White Rock? They would lay brown eggs and look similar if you don't know much about chickens. Can you post a picture of said girl?

8. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Yea I will go take a picture!! But I bought her as a leghorn!! And she has the white ears!

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
  10. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Quote:thanks for posting that!!! so i vote silkie too!!! but here is a picture of my " leghorn"! and by that thread you just posted, it should lay white eggs since it has white ear lobes!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by