what color eggs to light brahma hens lay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frankie5316, Aug 12, 2008.

1. frankie5316

frankie5316 Songster

Feb 29, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    does anyone know?

2. brahma-momma

brahma-momma In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Burnside, Ky
    brown

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Light brown, really... tinted.

4. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    brown

5. showme31

showme31 Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Here's the last batch of light brahma eggs that I set. As you can see a nice variety of browns.

[​IMG]

Smiles
    Jul

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh Jul... I'm jealous... I can't wait until I have that many Brahma eggs in the 'bator!!! Mine lays a light brown with a pinkish tinge - probably like the medium brown eggs in your incubator. [​IMG] Did you have a good hatch??

7. 10chicks

10chicks In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Can Showme31 please tell me about how big the Brahma eggs are? I have my first two eggs and I don't know who laid it. Thanks

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    There's a ruler in the picture... [​IMG] But they lay regular sized eggs. They may be small at first as most pullets lay small eggs, but they're considered Large eggs.

9. showme31

showme31 Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    As for size when I run the 2 pens together I can't tell the difference between the brahma eggs and the others (barred rock, black aussies, buff orps and a couple of mixed breeds).

I didn't get a really good hatch, but I didn't expect too. I had 12 hatch out and 1 of those didn't make it. These eggs sat out in the coop for 4 days in the Missouri summer sun. I had been away and didn't want to just toss them, so I thought what the hay. I didn't really need anymore babies, I have 15 lt brahma chicks in the garage also.

Smiles
    Jul

10. poorartists

poorartists In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    If you brahma owners had an older RIR offered as a swap for a 6 month old Light Brahma, would you take it?
    I have two light Brahmas, and I love how they run to the feeder. But I'm not sure if they are laying yet. I really want to up my laying rate. Another farmer is willing to trade me but her RIR is 6 months older than my bird, and it looks a bit beat up on its back from too many roosters. Thoughts?

Wisdom?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by