1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color eggs will a Red Frizzle Cochin Bantam lay?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kristin Brown, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Kristin Brown

Kristin Brown Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Arvada, Colorado
    Today, I got this tiny egg from my hens. I am aware it is definitely a bantam egg, and the first!

However - I am wondering if it belongs to my Red Frizzle Cochin bantam hen OR my Easter Egger/Red Pyle Old English bantam hen (she is a mix). The Red Frizzle Cochin is a year old, but I just bought her last week. My E.E./Red Pyle is 7 months old....

SO TODAY I FOUND THIS!

[​IMG]

Really curious who laid this egg. I imagine the E.E./Red Pyle hen would lay eggs that are a shade of green. What color egg does a Red Frizzle Cochin lay?

2. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama

My red cochin frizzle lays a cream to light brown.

[​IMG]

3. Kristin Brown

Dec 5, 2012
    Arvada, Colorado
    Thank you! I had a hard time finding this information on google. I guess my E.E. mixed chick is laying her first eggs now, since the one pictured is slightly green.. I will keep looking for eggs from the older Frizzle hen I just bought. Maybe she is stressed from the new environment and her egg laying has slowed down? I got her from a young boy that I buy hens from annually so he can start over with babies each spring. I am absolutely sure she is only a year.

4. JDchicks

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    My frizzle her is almost a year old. And she does not lay eggs very often (maybe 3-6 eggs a month). So, this may be normal for her also.

5. Kristin Brown

Dec 5, 2012
    Arvada, Colorado
    Hmm, maybe mine will not lay often. I got another small green egg today, but still no eggs from the Frizzle hen. Will keep looking! Thank you

6. JDchicks

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama

Supposedly, if you length their daylight, they hatch more. I have not tried it yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by