1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color eggs would a Red Comet lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TubbyChicken, Aug 27, 2008.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have a Red Comet and an unknown mix (she appears to be mixed with ameracauna)...

We've had the two hens since Monday morning and I've gotten two eggs. This is what they looked like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One appeared to be fertilized (tiny white spot in yolk) which would make sense because the hens were housed with roos...The Red Comet has a lot of feather loss from the roo but I assumed her eggs would be darker brown. What do you think? (btw, she's at least a year old)

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Mine are much darker from the pullets. They just started and they are a carmel brown. However the older hens are much lighter, so it could just be her age showing.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I would have thought brown, but mine have laid very pale brown eggs and then got darker as they layed more. [​IMG]

4. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the response! I hope she's not too terribly old [​IMG]

Here are the two hens...

[​IMG]

5. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    and I was told she was a year old...so I assume that's the least.

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Golden Comets lay brown eggs. Not quite sure if your eggs are EE's or Comets.

7. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    My goodness! That poor girl! [​IMG]

8. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I think coffeelady took the words right out of my mouth!
    My Goodness!! That poor girl!!
    I think a red comet is basically a red sex link, and they lay brown eggs. My sexlinks have laid a few pale egs, but not that pale. I never had brown egg layers that lived for more than a year or so, so I dont know if eggs lose color with age.
    That poor girl is definately stressed! Not sure you'd be able to guess age or anything with her in that condition. I think you'll just have to spoil her for a while, let her get used to the good life, and grow feathers, and see what happens. Maybe she'll thank you for all your kind care by laying nice sized eggs steadily for a few more years!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  9. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    is it possible that the stress has affected the color of her eggs? I wondered that myself. She looks better than sh did sadly enough [​IMG] I've been taking treats to her everyday.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

What breed is the black and white one???? We have just like her and I was wondering...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by