what color goslings will I get?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by poultry09, Apr 4, 2012.

1. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    I have two ganders a blue/grey smooth breasted gander, a white curly breasted gander. In with them I have a white smooth breasted goose and a lavender curly breasted goose, I also have two american buffs in with them (females). so my question(s) is what colors will I get from thoes combos? How many will be smooth breasted and curly breasted? and if the american buff/sebastopol cross geese hatch will I be able to tell the difference between the pure breed and the mix ones? and what color will thoes be?. If you can help thats great! if not thats ok.

thanks in advance for any help/advice you give me

2. poultry09

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    Anyone? I also forgot to ask how much should I charge for hatching eggs? and for colored goslings and white goslings( if I get any colored ones)

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009

First you need to separate the sebbies if your selling pure hatching eggs. If not then I'd charge maybe 3 a egg but make sure they know it'd be a sebbie mix not pure. For pure goslings you could easily get 30 for white and 40 for colored down here. Mixed goslings you may get 8 to 15 a goslings

4. poultry09

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    ok thanks Kevin

as far as eggs go I know which are pure breed she is the only one laying cause she is not broody, so Thier is no way of telling the difference between the goslings? what about at a week old?

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You can't sell them as Sebastopols if they are crossed, nor can you sell the eggs as such with a mixed flock. It would be better to seperate the breeds since until feathered you won't know smooth from curly or Sebbie from a cross.

Personally hatching eggs from a mixed flock priced at $3-5 each, goslings $7-9 each.

The genetics for colors isn't simple with the group setting you have for potential crosses. Wish I could be of more help, but you have lots of variables.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by