what color is "bleach"? the odd black jap. bantam

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sunket77, Nov 5, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    OK! I have got one for all you japanese bantam fanciers out there! I have one breeding pair of black japs, so far this year we have hatched out 4. TODAY however we just hatched three new ones and hoping for 3 more on the way but with the death rate you never know. Every chick we have hatched has of course been black. Two of the hatchlings today are black and then there is this little guy. I have no idea what color it could be... the first image is most true to color. It is the same size as the others. Now here are the other clues.... The only other bantams I have are silkies, cochins, polish and nankins. Now to have mixed the eggs would be nearly impossible because our pair is separate from everyone and I know the difference between a jap egg and any of the others because they are so small and darker than the others. The only egg of comparable size would be the nankin. But this does not look like a nankin chick, it's light yellow and a blue-ish color with a spot on it's head. It is clean legged, strait combed, yellow skin and not top hat. So that eliminates the cochins (who aren't laying anyway), silkies and polish. I am very hesitant to guess nankin because they usually have a brown stripe and have a bluish tint legs. ...... ANY GUESSES!!!!????????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What else can you get from two black parents?? Could this be some weird throw back gene??

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Wonder if theres a slim chance you got lucky enough to have a lavender pop up from the black breeding ?

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I'd say the color is splash as in blue, black and splash. the breed, don't know.

4. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    My guess in comparing it with the others that is is a japanese it really can't be anything else due to it's size and characteristics. Maybe I did get lucky! (or my son did they are his chickens, breeding them is is 4H project) Only time will tell!! I guess hatching eggs can be like a box of chocolates! lol!

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Looks to be white. Recessive white chicks can be a smokey gray color / light gray color.

Tim

6. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Here are the latest pics of "bleach" interesting things happening! what color will this be?? She is kind of on the large side for a Jap. but not much bigger than the others. They all are different sizes depending on their leg length. Obviously will be a longer legged Jap. Which to my understanding can still be goo for breeding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by