What color is cord? Kind of urgent!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Countrypunk92, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Hey got a chick who looks like he might have Cocci, Was wondering if anyone has used the corid liquid? What color is it? I had some in a bottle somwhere and forgot about it until recently but cannot remember if it is for sure corid or not. Its a clear peach color. And doesnt have a strong smell.
    Is this corid?

2. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV

"when it doubt? throw it out."
    Hate wastin' money, or havin' to go to the store, but ... I'd send that bottle, and any other I couldn't clearly identify based upon labeling, straight to a approved land fill. However?

[​IMG]
    Never messed w/ liquid forms of Amprolium, but this sorta looks more pee than peach to me ~'-)

3. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Actually, the bottles being thinker and coudier like a milk jug changes the color. I got a plastic bucket from ice cream, and it looked alot like some of it. Lol. But I am not sure the chick has Cocci yet, I am keeping an eye out for it though. no blood yet.``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

4. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    How many in the flock, and (from a distance) how many seem to show similar symptoms ... rather than wait for blood, that might be a better measure, unless there are other symptoms to consider?

Amprolium, assuming that's what you've got, isn't likely to do 'em any harm, as it blocks the intake of thiamine during treatment -- the coccidia are fifty times more sensitive to this than the chickens are. And, as you've got Corid on hand? I'm sure I don't have to tell you the harm coccidiosis can do )-;~

5. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    He is drinking now, Idk maybe he was just tired? it was about dusk. No blood.. Gave him electrolytes, we will see how he does.

There are 5 juvinilles in an outside brooder.
    but the whole question is that I had corrid in a bottle, placed it somewhere and forgot about it.as I was lookng for it , found the drink bottle with a peachy orangish liquid, pretty sure is corid but do not want to be wrong and it be something else.

6. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    He's probably wonderin' why it keeps gettin' colder, like mine are ... my brooder was outside, too, and they've been stressed intentionally, so as to better tolerate their first winter (if chickens/guineas could talk? Mine would surely be cussin' me tonight ~'-)

7. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Nope. Deffinately cocci. Blood in poo. Just going to buy some tomorrow and hope they all will be fine.

8. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Sorry to hear that ... first thing in the morning, replace their water w/ Apple Cider Vinegar at the rate of at four teaspoon to the gallon (but not in galvanized metal containers). The tannin from the apple helps to 'cut through' the coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, which improves the uptake of nutrients/vitamins, and further boosts their immune systems. the pH of around 5~6 makes a harsh environment for internal parasites, too.

Forgot that all such things are req'd to have a Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), from which I copied the following:

Physical and chemical properties
    · General Information
    Form: Liquid
    Color: Light amber colored
    Odor: No odor
    · Change in condition
    Melting point/Melting range: Undetermined.
    Boiling point/Boiling range: Undetermined.
    · Flash point: Not applicable.
    · Auto igniting: Product is not self-igniting.
    · Danger of explosion: Product does not present an explosion hazard.
    · Specific gravity: 1.024
    · Solubility in / Miscibility with
    Water: Fully miscible.
    · pH-value: 2.5-3.0
    · Solvent content: 0 %

I doubt that anywhere chickens are found there's any chance of accurately measuring specific gravity, but that very low pH can be tested easily. But, if you buy the same one you had before? Comparing the weight of two exact measures (the larger, the better) would almost guarantee that it is/isn't CORID® that you have, and you could use it up first ~'-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by