What color is he and what color ducklings could I get?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NamahKatana, Mar 23, 2013.

1. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    I recently got a purebred runner drake and I can not figured out what color he is. He's blue with chocolate over his back and is bibbed. I can't find a name for his color os similarly colored runners. Here a pic. He's the one on the left

[​IMG]

Also if bred to a blue splashed (runner x blue sedish) hen what color babies could I get?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    He is certainly interestingly marked. He isn't a recognized color or pattern. Hard to say what colors they'd throw. I'd think you'd get some blue (of some pattern or mix) in ducklings since drake and duck both have blue.

Unless you know the coloring in both of the ducks lineage, you won't be able to say for sure.

I can give you a link to a genetics calculator but frankly, I don't put much faith in it as I used the sites chicken one which said if I bred my blue giant to my buff orpington, I'd get blue or black offspring and I have 4 of the most interestingly marked chicks right now.

3. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Well thats probably wwhy I couldn't find anything like him. i sure do love his coloring though. Can't wait to see what they throw! All i know is that the hens mom was a white/silver runner and her dad was a blue or black swedish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by