What color is he?? (blue barred?) EE roo (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrazyCatNChickenLady, May 14, 2010.

1. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Louie the 9 week old EE roo. So he looks blue barred(??).. with a kinda lt brown coming in on his saddle and hackle feathers. AND solid black feathers popping up!! Black ones are on chest, shoulders, neck, even wing feathers.. So im really curious as to what he may look like full grown. I really dont know if the color even has a name!

He looks funny cause he's getting alot of red in the face!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He looks ruffled up, I was playing with his feathers and he didnt smoothe down before the pic!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm having a heck of a time getting the black to show up well in pics.. but there's probably 6-8 black spots coming in..

Here's his pa.. could he have the black spots like this over the blue?!!(he also got his dads 'half-tail') unfortunately I lost him and most of the girls in a dog attack.. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of these ladies is his mama
    [​IMG]

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    So my guess is yes he is blue barred, pappa is a splash. They are both nice looking birds. Did you or do you have any barred birds in you flock?

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Those 2 roos are so pretty. I'm not good at colors, but I would call him blue barred.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    not sure but very pretty!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Blue barred is a color I often get when crossing my BR rooster over Ameraucana hens. That boy could be an EE or Ameraucana rooster over BR hen, which would yield barred males and solid color females (usually)

6. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I crossed EE to EE.. The adult roo was supposed to be araucana but was EE with araucana blood probably.. I hatched 6 EE's.. lots of blue!

Shamrock, blue barred also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clover has light barring on her head but is otherwise white with blue tint kinda... (Clover and Shamrock hatched on St. Patty's Day!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Poppy:
    [​IMG]

Group shot. The 2 black/brown roos are from the same hatch too.. thats H1 & N1 (N1 has more brown on his neck..!)
    [​IMG]

So if I crossed Louie over some cuckoo marans would I get some blue barred olive eggers?

7. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

They're beautiful!!!

8. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Thanks!! I just love them! I cant wait to see what they grow up to look like! [​IMG]

9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Shamrock is just gorgeous, and the girls are, too! Please post pics when they get older. [​IMG]

10. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Yep.... that is what you should get, but keeping in mind that you never know what you will get out of an EE.....remember that all of the babies that are hatched from this crossing that have a single comb like the mom (Cuckoo Marans) are not going to be an olive egger......you will need to keep the babies that inherit the peacomb from Louie as the peacomb and blue egg gene seem to be closely linked to each other.....the babies with the peacomb are the ones that will lay the olive colored eggs. I think that I read somewhere that the single combed birds from this cross have like some slim 3% chance of laying an olive egg...but I could be wrong and I'm sure some fab BYC'er will come along and correct me [​IMG]
    Have fun with your birds and they are great.....love little Clover and Shamrock!!!!! Please keep us updated on Louie and how he grows I think he is going to be a very nice bird. Can't wait to see him matured. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by