What color is he? LOTS of PICS added!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blaundee, Oct 23, 2010.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Here is Dexter. He is sired by a Standard Game/Americauna/White Leghorn rooster out of a Cuckoo Maran mother. To my uneducated eye, I'd say he has a silvery gray tail and flight feathers, and the majority of the rest of his feathers are red and gray barred. His fluff on his belly is gray. These pics are not very good, but the best I can do. He is 3-1/2 months old now.

The first pic is of when he was approx 6 weeks old, the last 2 of from a couple of days ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think he looks like a red barred chicken, and I'd like to cross him with my RIR pullets to try to get more red barred chicks.

Tell me what you think???

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Those really are some bad pics... I'm gonna follow him around today and see if I can get better shots.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    He looks blue barred with lots of red leakage, can you get pics of the father too ? Did he have the Blue Gene from his Ameraucana or Game ancestors ?

4. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Please bear with me... I'm trying to add thumbnails for my first time... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Pretty sure there's no Ameraucana in there, but instead Easter Egger. He's got the red leakage of a duckwing (commonly carried by Easter Eggers) and he also has barring that looks sex-linked (one allele instead of two) Which of course makes sense, since his mother is a barred bird - Thus he's a sex linked offspring.

Honestly his color reminds me a lot of my Araucanas, who are duckwing x barred x blue. But, yours has no blue in him. Though he is gray, that's just smudged barring. A blue barred bird with such leakage would have a lot of black blotting and gold blotting like this:

[​IMG]

But if you're looking for a color name, there is none other than mutt. [​IMG]

6. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Okay, NOW he's growing up to as I was hoping. He's basically what you get when doing sex-linked barred birds. He's got some duckwing in there and some barring. So really, he's an improper crele. (There's a lot of red leaking on the chest and such)

9. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    I wanted to clarify Dexter's "breeding"... His sire I'll call "Dad" for this discussion is a white rooster with bright yellow legs and a few black feathers. Dad's FATHER (Dexter's grandfather) was half White Leghorn (sire) and half wheaten colored Game hen- he was a white chicken with a few black feathers, looked very much like Dad except he had a single comb. He was bred to a brown hen that was sold to me as an Americauna, but who knows. [​IMG] This produced "Dad".

Dexter's mother is a pretty lil Cuckoo Maran.

eta- I do not believe there to be any blue in his Game breeding, as we had the Games for decades and never had any blue ones, it would have to come from the other breeds. Also, he doesn't look blue to me- I'm not saying he COULDN'T be, it just doesn't look blue to me [​IMG]

10. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by