What color is my Ameraucana hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Phantomhorse181, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Phantomhorse181

Phantomhorse181 New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    This would be Mercutio, my little Ameraucana hen, she is just about 10 months old and my mom and I were trying to figure out what her color would be defined as, or if it would be defined at all. Thank you!

The first photo is of her and her best friend a buff orpington, the second photo is a close up of her face, and the third is some of the patterns of her wings closer up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas what her color is?

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    She is considered an Easter Egger as she does not fit any of the standard colors for Ameraucana.

As to color...she is a mixed color sort...mostly black and brown laced.

She is still a pretty hen and hopefully lays pretty eggs for you.

LofMc

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

x3

5. Phantomhorse181

Phantomhorse181 New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    An Easter Egger she is then!

Cool! I had bought her from a breeder at a day old, but I guess however everything worked out she wasn't quite an Ameraucana :p

I can't say I mind! She lays a bunch of different colored eggs and is the most unique looking of my chickens!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  6. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm glad you are happy with her as she is pretty and lays nice eggs and is a sweet hen. For most of us, that's all we need.

Ameraucana SOP (standard of perfection) is very, very strict...and chickens are different than other bred animals...there is no breed book with lineage, per se. All you have is the SOP to declare that the bird you are holding is a certain breed of a certain color, if there are different color types in the breed.

Ameraucana standard is such that if it doesn't match one of the appropriate 8 colors of Ameraucana, it can't be called an Amearaucana but is autmatically called an Easter Egger.
    http://www.ameraucana.org/gallery.html

Many breeders sell utility quality chicks to thin their ranks from those they do not want to breed forward, and that is fine for those of us who want a breed for laying or pet purposes with no intention of breeding or showing. Sometimes you can't know what the outcome will be with a mating until the bird is fully grown, therefore, there is always the risk that the chick you purchase won't be the quality you hoped.

If it is important to you, it is always good to know the SOP of the breed you desire and ask questions of breeders. If possible, you should see their stock and breed pens. If birds are roaming around everywhere and don't look up to standard of the breed you want, you know you won't likely be getting any chicks of breed standard.

Most of us purchase at swaps or exchanges, so we don't actually see the breeder's facilities. Then asking questions and looking at photos is a good option if you are really wanting to get a particular breed that looks like it should. If they are sold as utility, and you are fine with utility, that's okay. If they are sold though as show quality or breed quality, that's not okay if you get something that should have been a certain color or quality.

LofMc

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x4

8. Phantomhorse181

Phantomhorse181 New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    Thank you so much for the detailed response! As someone who knows much more about dog and horse breeding and standards, I didn't realize how the color variation in an ameraucana could make them qualify for a different breed entirely! I want to say that both of her parents were pure bred ameraucanas, but while I did get the chance to see the set up for the chickens and it was quite nice, I have no clue what my Easter Egger's parents look like, I never even thought to ask. Plus, I can't say I was looking for anything in particular, I just needed the ability to return a chicken if I got a rooster as my town has a rooster ban!

Again, thank you for the detailed response! I love my hen no matter her breed!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I think she's beautiful. EEs can have such color variations and I think hers is unusual. I like the unusual colors we see on those sometimes. Enjoy!

10. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You are welcome.

And the "other breed entirely" is with Ameraucanas...the breed society is very picky about what is called Ameraucana so that anything that doesn't fit SOP is immediately considered an Easter Egger.

Other breeds would simply say production quality or utility quality... Barred Rock, or Welsummer...but still there should be a genuine attempt to have what is typical of a BR or Welsummer in appearance...otherwise they need to be called something else (a non-barred Barred Rock wouldn't be called a Barred Rock even if both parents were full BR's).

Rhodebar breeders for example are perfecting their lines and in so doing will breed back to a heritage RIR to perfect the line. This can cause the first few generations to not be auto sexing and not be properly barred, therefore, those offspring are not called Rhodebar but called red barred layers or some such thing. Even if something crops up later on, like a wheaten color throw back, typical in the males, or penciling in the females, the breeders will request that you are not to sell that as a Rhodebar but as a mixed breed red layer. (I purchase hatching eggs from breeders, so will get offspring that are non SOP and have to be careful with what I sell or pass along, per breeders' requests).

It's all about SOP in the chicken breeding world...anything less is mixed breed or utility quality....which most of us are completely happy with because we want eggs or meat and healthy happy backyard feathered friends.

LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by