What color is my Araucana bantam?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Hello I'm new to BYC I just sighed up today! I was wondering what color my araucana bantam Jimmy is? Is he or ( She ) black or blue? I don't know if he/she is a rooster or a hen can you help me out? Mrs. Fluffy Puffy
    [​IMG]

2. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    I'm still a newbie... but I say hen. How old is she?
    I'm not experienced at all on color, but I can see where you're comin from on the color issue.

[​IMG]

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Well lets see she was hatched around last May. Oh good I was REALLY hoping that she'd be a hen! Now I have to rename her don't I! lol What should I name her? Oh, she came out of 2 standard Araucana roosters but she's a banty, because the standard roosters breed the bantam hens! Crazy chickens I really wonna put my banties in a different pen so that won't happen though! lol

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks blue to me - Since most blues are created, they vary. Although - This isn't a "true" Araucana - Isn't this an EE or an Ameraucana?

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I think shes a EE but she could be a Araucana not sure,though. When do you think she'll start laying? Will her eggs be GREEN or BLUE?
    Can't wait to fined out!

6. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Not an Araucana. Araucana have tufts, no beard, and that lady has a beard. Where did you get her? What color are her legs? By her tail set I would guess she's a Ameraucana but she very likely could be an EE too. But that is a SHE, not a he bonus

check out the sticky on the towards the top of the breeds section.

7. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    She hatched in May? I'd say she's laying already. My bunch that hatched on May 4th have been laying almost two months. My bunch that hatched July 1st have been laying for about 2 weeks now.
    She's very pretty, I'd say she's a blue.

Michelle

8. smk2010

smk2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    I don't know much about chickens but I'd say a blue hen. Pretty color.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Well, a broody hen stopped setting and I stuck abunch of eggs in the incubator and she and another one were the only ones that hatched out of that batch. Do you think she will throw black offspring? I don't think she's laying because I don't have a light in the coop right now I'm useing it for some baby chickens that'er in the brooder! ( Not really babies they have all their feathers in! lol ) So she's a EE? Yes, she is a pretry color! She'll fly up on me to get treats! ( Very spoiled! ) Do you think if I put her in the brooder with the light in there that she will lay? Thanks,

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    She could very well be a blue Ameracauna. Not an aracauna. When she starts laying you will have a better idea. Fingers crossed for blue eggs!
    I have birds from last May's hatch and they are not laying yet either. She will when she's ready [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by