what color is my hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jbolt, Feb 23, 2013.

1. jbolt

jbolt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Wittmann az
    Hi, I have a Black Minorca/Deleware hen. She has gold tipped feathers on her neck. I was wondering what the official coloring is called. I know that the pattern is not mottled, but very uniform, and each colored feather has gold on the outer edge of an otherwise black feather. She is my best layer, and I have some of her eggs crossed wth my White Leghorn rooster in the bator. Any ideas what chicks might looklike?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jbolt

Jan 24, 2013
    Wittmann az
    Also have crossed him with my speckled Sussex hen. What will those babies look like?[​IMG]

3. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    It's hard to say what the chicks will look like. I think there is any number of possibilities.
    I think the prettiest ones I've ever crossbred was my OEGB/Black-tailed white jap bantam roo with my OEGB and BPW. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of those progeny that I can find.
    Here are a few of my crossbred birds:
    Wyandotte/Brahma

[​IMG]

Buff Orpington/Brahma

[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your leghorn roo will throw mostly white babies no matter what you cross him with. That's my understanding of dominate white, anyway.

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA

Yup. Tetra tints are a leghorn/australorp cross and are primarily white with black leakage. Your chicks will likely be very similar.

6. jbolt

Jan 24, 2013
    Wittmann az
    Neat. Does anyone know what the minorca/Delaware hens coloring is? Ill post a pic again.[​IMG]

7. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Well my understanding is that her being a cross, there is no designated color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by