What color is my silkie baby? I have never seen this color before.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SecretHavenFarm, Jan 26, 2011.

1. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    This is a silkie that was hatched out and raised here. I have blue splash, partridge, black, white and buff runnin around, I also have an old english/silkie cross hen who I have only kept because she is such a great mom. She has regular feathering, but is all black, super tiny, and has the 5 toes. But I have never seen one of my roosters breed her in the almost year and half I have had her ( I know that dosent mean it dosent happen, but it still makes me wonder, as so far all the chicks I have raised have never looked like a cross)

Anyway, this little guy who I have been affectionatly calling ugly (he was the ugliest chick, but still a real cutie) Has 5 toes, turqoise earlobes and mulberry comb and wattles. So he looks pure silkie to me (but im new to this and not an expert)

So what color would you call him, and would anyone know if hes a rooster or hen? Hes lookin rooster to me, but dont know for sure,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Definitely a boy. Not sure on the colour though maybe blue or lavender [​IMG]

3. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    That's definitely not blue or lavender... looks kind of silver birchen? I'm not sure that's a silkie color, but if it were cochin or a game, that would be my guess...

4. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    oh wait, just realized you hatched him out of pure colors... probably just a "mixed" color... but very pretty!

5. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Whatever color he is, he's a little cutie! [​IMG]

Silkies are such cool little birds...

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Gray with red leeching on the wings. The Duckwing tips to the wing is not unusual in Grays.

7. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    So for the longest time I didn't quite get the whole silkie fanclub stuff but ya know the funny little buggers grow on a person don't they? Am now thinking about getting one just for the grins and giggles. They're really kind of cute aren't they?

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:LOL They aren't so much grins and giggles when they go BROODY [​IMG]

9. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Thats actually one of the things that kind of appeals to me. I think Id like to try purchasing a couple/three eggs to set under a broody silkie. Maybe thats a bad idea? Dunno... still giving a bit of thought, but the silly little fluff balls have appeal dont they? [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Definitely a grey cockerel. I don't see red on the wings, but the photo quality doesn't disprove it being there, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by