1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color is my Silkie chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by serendipityfarm, Dec 12, 2010.

1. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    This chick was hatched from "Partridge" eggs, but it is likely that it was mislabeled upon collection.
    At Day Old:
    [​IMG]
    And now (approx. 2 weeks):
    [​IMG]

2. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    It looks white to me. The chick in the middle of the second photo does not appear to be a pure Silkie. Those bright yellow legs are a red flag.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Looks white.

The middle bird doesn't look like a pure silkie, as KentuckySilkies said. Maybe silkiexcochin.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2

5. serendipityfarm

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    LOL. Yup, the middle one is a cross to my Mille Fleur Cochin roo (white Silkie mom)

When the odd colored Silkie hatched, the seller thought maybe a buff got mixed in by accident, but she is feathering out in pretty pearl colored feathers. I'm gussing white, too, but know nothing about Silkies so wanted opinions. I would imagine buff would look buff by now, right?

6. serendipityfarm

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    Oh, one more question...

The chick on the right, the partridge, had yellower legs (almost more greenish than blueish) when hatched than any of the others. They now look almost as dark as anyone else's. Any thoughts??

7. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    It looks white but you never know as I have some silkies right now in the brooder that are a few months old and a couple of the whites are starting to show some buff coloring around their necks and head while the rest of their body remains white. They are kinda weird looking. Looks like rust got on their fuzz.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by