What color is my Silkie going to be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cruiser, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Cruiser

Cruiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    W. Terre Haute IN.
    I got these egg from marie_martin & this is my first time with Silkies. These sure are cute little birds. I can see why people get so addicted to these little balls of fluff.

[​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Probably something resembling a partridge. That stripe down the back is common with the partridge pattern.

3. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    A very cute Partridge!!!!!!

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Definitely a partridge silkie. I hatch so many of those it's rediculous. but the partridge can come in so many colors. that's gonna be a darker one, but I get them in light gray and yellow, and they are AMAZING!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:Actually there is a "standard" for the partridge color, but usually everything else that has a stripe, and doesn't fit into another variety is dubbed as "partridge," usually because the pattern is so vibrant and strong. And of course there is the partridge color, and the partridge pattern which I believe are two seperate things, genetically speaking. I have yet to understand it really....

6. Cruiser

Jul 6, 2008
    W. Terre Haute IN.
    OK thanks. I have another 1 that is about the same color but no stripe & a little bit of buff color around the head & neck. Would this one be a Partridge too?

7. Poulets De Cajun

Could be a white with the gold gene.

8. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Quote:Actually there is a "standard" for the partridge color, but usually everything else that has a stripe, and doesn't fit into another variety is dubbed as "partridge," usually because the pattern is so vibrant and strong. And of course there is the partridge color, and the partridge pattern which I believe are two seperate things, genetically speaking. I have yet to understand it really....

Ya, I was refering to the stripe, not the color. I do have some with the darker color though. I don't even know where in the heck the gray and yellow comes from though, because the mom is black and the dad is red?[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  9. Cruiser

Jul 6, 2008
    W. Terre Haute IN.
    Here's the other one I asked about.

[​IMG]

10. Poulets De Cajun

You got me on that one. Does Marie run a mixed flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by