What color is my silkie?

runswithchicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 11, 2012
Sussex County Delaware
This cutie hatched from a shipped egg marked with an "S" which I figured meant it was supposed to be silver. It does seem to have some grey/silver tones, but it is very dark overall. Is this what a silver silkie chick looks like? Could it be blue or black, or is it too early to tell?

It looks like a black silkie the "S" i think was for silkie but its just a guess. Were all the eggs you got silkies or different breeds.

It looks like a black silkie the "S" i think was for silkie but its just a guess. Were all the eggs you got silkies or different breeds.
I was going to say this also. I think both silver and splash have quite different looking chicks. I would assume "S" is for silkie or maybe it was a 5?

Maybe it stands for "split" which in Ameraucana terms means that it could carry the lavender gene but is black in color.

yes it is black and will grow up to be black...but the S and the egg could stand for split...which means if this little one is bred with a lavender they would produce lavender chicks...at least it is that way with my lavender cochins....not sure if it is the same way with silkies.

The parent colors the eggs were supposed to have come from were Buff, White, Partridge, Blue, and Black. All the eggs were silkie eggs. Some were labeled S, some were labeled Buff and some were labeled Ex. I did ask the seller to clarify the color labels but did not hear back. I thought maybe some silver eggs got sent since S didn't fit any of the color options. But split makes sense....

You could also contact the seller.
hide.gif
Why didn't I think of that before?

Back
Top Bottom