What color is our silkie chick and when will we know the sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by justuschickens, Mar 31, 2011.

1. justuschickens

justuschickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Des Moines
    We got a silkie bantam chick at the feed store (also 2 california whites and 3 lovely little Khaki Campbell ducklings) never had a silkie before, the coloring is light yellow but feathers coming in on wings and legs are gray and black...sort of speckled. I don't know how to post pictures, trying to figure it out. I suppose I will figure out the sex on my own when it starts crowing or laying eggs [​IMG] They said it was a white Silkie bantam whats up with the colors coming in, not that we care just curious and excited.
    Ok I think I figured out how to post a photo...what do you think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. Breshcandra

Breshcandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    looks like one of my splash silkies. They are feathering grey on thier wings.

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Looks like a splash silkie. Silkies are hard to sex until they crow. But I usually go by the big walnut comb that usually comes out on the roos at about 5 months old. [​IMG]

4. Breshcandra

Breshcandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    They make good Broodies

5. justuschickens

justuschickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Des Moines
    Oh thank you for your replies. I can see why they become addictive to most folks that have them on here. I've looked at pictures of silkies when they mature and they look so cute. We are of course hoping it's a girl because we live in the city. Anybody have a rooster? Is their crow just as loud as any other breed? I can't imagine giving her up if she turns out to be a he. Although we have it covered if that happens. My best friend has a brother and three nephews who have farms, one in particular has already said he and his wife would take a rooster if we discovered we have one. Hope she makes it easy on me and turns out to be a girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by