what color is the membrane after the egg starts cracking?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beepbeepinajeep, Apr 21, 2009.

1. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I have an egg in the process of hatching. The membrane where the shell has come away is white in some places & reddish brown in some places. I can still hear the bird cheeping and it is wiggling. Is the reddish brown a sign of a bleed? Is it ok? Thanks

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    The shell membrane is white and thick. The innermost membrane ranges in color from red, brown and yellow. If that dries out than you need to interfere. If they shell membrane dries out, that's normal. Usually both peal off together, but sometimes they don't.

I wouldn't worry about the chick bleeding. If you see a clear vein that's bad.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Will I just dab a damp paper towel on it if it dries out? How will I know if it is dried out? It pipped this morning around 7... should we be further along than a fairly small hole by now? It's smaller than a dime size hole.

4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It will get hard and look like dried maple syrup or tree sap if it dries out. I usually just drip a few drops of warm water on a dry egg every few hours. If, after a day, he still hasn't made it out, then I take him to the sink and slowly pull the shell and membranes off. Give him time, they take a good long while to hatch. Mine usually pip the night before, start zipping the next morning, and have hatched by the afternoon or the evening.

5. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC

It doesn't look like it is zipping yet... hopefully soon:)

6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:How exciting! I find leaving the house while their hatching to be the best strategy. lol. Come home to hatched or nearly hatched chicks! Great!

7. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I was worried about taking my son to speech therapy & going to the grocery store--didn't want to miss the show. I guess it was too early for it to work for me;)

8. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    We're starting to zip:) I guess the other little eggs will catch up... they haven't pipped yet, but they are cheeping & wiggling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by