What color is this bantam cochin chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mallory2013, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    I was wondering if any of you tremendously knowledgeable people could tell me what color this little 9 week old chick is. When I bought her I thought she was maybe a birchen, now I'm not sure. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the blurry pics the chick did not want to hold still, it also didn't help that her hatch mates were screeching at the top of their lungs...

Side view
    [​IMG]

Top view
    [​IMG]

Front View
    [​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like a silver lace or a silver partridge (don't know if cochins have silver partridge? but a possibility)

3. mallory2013

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I was thinking that she was a silver laced as well, but it seems to be a very poor example of silver lacing... Oh well she is cute anyway [​IMG]

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I have dark brahmas (which are silver partridge, a double laced pattern) they look very similar to this at the awkward teenage phase, very bad messy coloring. and as they age the pattern should improve extremely.

5. mallory2013

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    Quote:That's awesome to hear! Thanks! [​IMG]

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a lacing patteren on it silver

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like its a lacing (silver) should be pretty when fully feathered in adult feathers

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep, laced birds seem to take the ugly stage more seriously than other breeds. Just give her some time, and that lacing will improve drastically.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by