1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what color is this bantam cochin cockerel?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickie'sMoma, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i was hoping i could get some help trying to figure out what color my bantam cochin cockerel Sunny might be. i figure he might not be considered a standard color since he came from a flock of mixed colors to begin with. but i am curious. he is such a sweet boy and i would like to breed him with some other colors but would at least like to know what to start him with.

i have a 5 1/2 mo bantam black cochin pullet and a 2yr old bantam frizzled white cochin in with him. i don't expect many eggs from the white anymore, and i am still waiting on the black to start. and i've been eyeing some of the other pretty colors people have in their flocks.

he's now 6 1/2 months old and when he hatched he had that chipmunk coloring along his back. i wish i had a pic of him then, but this is what he looks like as of tonight when i snapped an updated pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for any help with this!!!

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Birchen.....and something else that messed with the tail color, but for the most part birchen

3. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i probably should have mentioned some of the colors i've noticed in his back.

so far i have seen along his back a dark brown along with that wheat/cream color in both his neck and tail. his tail feathers have both a green and purple sheen to them-not standard i know [​IMG]

i thought when he had hatched he would be a golden or a partridge, or something like that but the light color threw me off when it started showing.

pic from end of July when he started showing the wheat/cream
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i just found on FeatherSite a pic of a color called 'BrassyBack' under the bantam section.

could he possibly be considered this?

5. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    He is not a Birchen, they are crow wing, meaning the wing tri-angle is black. His wing tri-angle is white.
    He is a split silver/gold , and if as you say he had the chipmunk wild type hatch down he is a Duckwing.
    David

6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    birchen black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by