What color is this Bantam Wyandotte??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by happytraylz, Nov 7, 2011.

1. happytraylz

happytraylz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I picked up 2 "pullets" from a breeder this summer, one all black (the one in question), and a blue. I have been looking for a Roo to add to my ladies ( I have others), and my husband came in this morning and said-Hey that black ones crowing! Me-Huh..? [​IMG] Sure enough, I heard the beginnings of him learning to crow this morning. My question is- He was ALL black, but slowly has started getting golden feathers mixed in. I figured he was black, and all color would have been in by now. New to colors and such. Is he a gold laced? Or Black? Something else? Thank you for any input! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:almost looks like a cross between different colors....not exactly sure though......he sure is pretty!!!!

3. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    He is not a wyandotte, he looks like a cochin. Color I can't help with, looks like black with some gold leakage.

Edit, not a cochin, don't know. Please ignore me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I do think you have a mix there.....Wyandotte comb, but the body shape reminds me of Cochin, but no feathers on the legs.....Very pretty gold coloring on the wings, but not exactly a golden laced.....Possible partial golden laced Wyandotte mixed with a cochin?

Can't be sure though.....But hey, a very pretty chicken!

5. happytraylz

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Well, the breeder said it was a Wyandotte.. lol I thought Cochins had heavy leg feathering..? He has none.

6. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    You know, I didn't look at the legs, the comb looks to me to be mixed. Not quite like a wyandotte. It looks more like a cochin than a wyandotte. Maybe someone with more knowledge will know. What kind of comb does it have, to me it looks kind of strait. Though my eyes are still a bit blurred, daylight saving time, I don't like itl

7. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    It looks like a dott but of mixed colors. ie Blue with golden laced in the background. A huge problem with wyandottes over the last few years was the "bunny tail" being bred for & placing in a show. Thus many breeders bred for that trait. Giving the Wyandotte the backend of a cochin in type. There was a call out from the parent club to be aware of this mistake, and thus the swing has begun to go back to the standard wyandotte tail. So the bunny tailed dottes are still out there and have the same "cochin" look as this bird.

8. happytraylz

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Brody's Broodello :

It looks like a dott but of mixed colors. ie Blue with golden laced in the background. A huge problem with wyandottes over the last few years was the "bunny tail" being bred for & placing in a show. Thus many breeders bred for that trait. Giving the Wyandotte the backend of a cochin in type. There was a call out from the parent club to be aware of this mistake, and thus the swing has begun to go back to the standard wyandotte tail. So the bunny tailed dottes are still out there and have the same "cochin" look as this bird.

Ok, so the bunny tail is bad..? I just ran out to get pics of my girls, because they all look pretty much the same as him, from diff breeders. I was worried I had bought all 'non-wyandottes'.. lol​

9. happytraylz

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Here are my ladies.. Are they also not standard?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. happytraylz

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Oh, and here is a better shot of his comb..
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by