What color is this banty cochin roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GardienneWings, Jul 10, 2010.

1. GardienneWings

GardienneWings Chillin' With My Peeps

This boy was bought as a mottled baby but I don't think I would call him mottled :) No biggie, just wondering what color I should call him. I am getting really nice black and mottled babies from him and my blue BC hen so he may carry mottled genes.....
    Val

[​IMG]

2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Can't really see him too well. He kinda looks birchen/ gold laced? And I don't know what a blue BC hen is.....BC=bantam Cochin?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I have a little Bantam Cochin roo that I hatched from eggs that were supposed to be Black Mottled, but he's that exact same color - sort of golden-laced color in a birchen pattern up in his hackles....[​IMG]

4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have identical roosters.....mine are actually split lav/mille... Mille Fleur rooster and Lavender hen.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Can you repost the photo at full size. That one is too small to tell anything about.

6. GardienneWings

[​IMG]Sorry that is the size the camera saved it - Here is a different angle, I can zoom in the better one tonight and repost it.
    [​IMG]

Yes, his feathers are more of a gold laced and his under fluff is blue.
    Val

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  7. GardienneWings

Here is a better photo or two.
    Also the chick in the third photo is from my Partridge Cochin pen. All adults are partridge. He hatched Partridge but is going blue.... is that called blue partridge? The colors in cochins are new to me, sorry if these are dumb questions :)
    Val

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chucksohiki

chucksohiki Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Claremont, N.C. U.S.A.
    He does look a lot like gold laced in him but i do not know a lot about them colors but I think he does have some gold laced from what i can see.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    It's crazy that he started out partridge! Right now- I would say he's birchen with gold leakage.

10. GardienneWings

Happymtn,
    Yes, as far as I know this chick is the first from this pen to color out this way, it really surprised me. The blue coming in may or maynot keep the barring , it looks like he is losing most of it and going pure blue. I'll have to keep him and see how he ends up :)

I am looking for Wheaten and BW Am pullets for my W & BW roos so if you have any extras please let me know. I'm always looking for an excuse to come down your way!

Val

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by