WHAT COLOR IS THIS COCHIN and AN HONEST CRITIQUE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Total Chaos, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Total Chaos

Total Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Could anyone please give me their opinion as to the color of this Cochin hen? Also could I get an honest critique on her? She is a 1 year old Bantam Cochin. Thank you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Silver Something (Penciled, I think). I think she is pretty. But I'm really no expert and don't know What the standard says.

3. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

First glance her color is a mixture all right....maybe partridge or silver pencilled. She doesn't look in her best feather condition to tell about type. She appears several steps above long/rangy hatchery cochins. Her feet don't appear especially yellow which is what's needed to meet standard.
    Really depends what you plan to do--show chickens, raise pretty ones for the yard, etc.....

4. Total Chaos

Total Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    This is my first year of trying to raise my own to show. A friend of mine brought this hen to me yesterday and thought I might could use her for something. Her feet are not bright clear yellow. They have a grayish cast but the bottoms are yellow. I am working on mottled black and blue, black, and blue in the bantams. I also just got the standard cochin bug and just hatched my first chicks from them. I know her color is off and foot color is off. Just wondering if she could be used at all as a breeder or just be a pretty pet to look at..

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    my goodness how different.. she looks like a Dark penciled Brahma but in cohin body.. very different.. I am a big fan of dark brahma's so you can tell I like her... i think that fine penciling is beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    )O(
    Pink

6. the*chicken*chik

the*chicken*chik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    tennessee
    looks cuckoo color to me.

7. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Silver penciled, tho the yellow is not good. Don't know if it's dirt, diet or bleed-thru. Type - she's yard art. But if she goes broody well, she'd be fine to raise chicks which Cochins do well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by