What color is this cochin cockerel? Lemon? Blue? Columbian?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MrsChickendad, Sep 2, 2009.

1. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    This little guy was part of a test hatch last March and has been changing color ever since. I had two of them exactly alike. I thought lemon-blue at first, but now he's starting to look "lemon columbian"! What do you guys think?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I would say he definitely has columbian in him. My roos yellow like that from the sun and corn. But, he looks like he has something else kicking as well. His undercolor is gray where mine are white. And his yellowing is really yellow??

What varieties could be the parents?

3. MrsChickendad

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Quote:He is only 5 months old and is definitely yellow. I have buffs also and he is nothing like that color.

Daddy was a splash, Mama was a buff. Maybe the dilution gene kicked in on the buff color? His yellow is not clear but splashed with blue.

He also has some lacing on his foot feathers-blue laced with lemon.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I would say you have a fine start to a lemon-blue project [​IMG]

5. MrsChickendad

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Quote:How would you breed him? He is out of hatchery stock, so I am not sure I want to start too far down the ladder. I do have a SQ buff pullet with nice short back and loose feathers, no vulture hocks. Hmmmm. Also have a Mille cochin from Lynne; she is very dark with hardly any white.

Right now he is intent on making a bantam cochin/BLR wyandotte large fowl cross, without much success, I might add. The wyandottes are pushing 8 lbs, and he is very optimistic!

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    He isn't the greatest type, but I'm sure you know that. His color, though, is beautiful!

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't know- you should send him to me right away so I can get a better look. [​IMG]

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I cannot remember what the recipe is for lemon blue. I belive brown-red and blue??

As for his type, I don't think he's bad at all for hatchery stock cochins... it could be a whole lot worse. Just make sure you get some hens from nice stock to put with him... let me holler at another person on this forum and see what they say... I'd say your splash hen or blue hen and some brown-red hens. You can snag nice ones at poultry shows ..maybe or try for some hatching eggs on here. I think pumpkinpup may have a lemon-blue project going. And I know wwmicasa1 has one going as well.

Good Luck!+

9. MrsChickendad

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Quote:All I have right now in cochin hens are white, buff and a mille fleur project pullet. Fowlfest in Frankenmuth is coming up in a month, might be a good place to scope out some girls for Leroy and a boy for the mille! Thanks for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by