What color is this Cochin Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TrystInn, Jul 7, 2010.

1. TrystInn

TrystInn Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    This is our Big Blue Roo, as we call him. He started out fairly Self-Blue, according to local poultry folks but in the last few weeks he's grown a bunch of black feathers. Does this constitute a Blue Splash?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Splash cochin!!! [​IMG]

3. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    Does that roo crow looks like a girl to me. I would Call it splash

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Thank you all for the confirmation, I wouldn't want to mis-identify Big Blue!

ILoveFrizzles,

You've got a really good point there - this chicken is the same age as our Buff Cochins, but about 4 inches taller and they all have really small crests and wattles, so we're thinking roo. S/he's been trying to crow in the morning, but our Alpha hen Scarlett (Rhodie) is in charge of such things and goes after the Blue when it's tried. There's also the upright carriage and roo-like behaviors that make us suspect.

Here's a reference pic:

[​IMG]

So, we're staying tuned. So far, there's no spur development at 5 1/2 months but I understand that with Cochins that can take upwards of a year.

5. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Yes it is a splash, he's very pretty, [​IMG]

Mine looks like a girl also, the other roos think so to [​IMG]

I got my first off spring from him all are regular blue which is what i ordered when i got him.

[​IMG]

6. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    I guess my roo just look more like a roo. He/she is very pretty. But is a splash

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Gorgeous roos and hens, thank you for sharing! I had ordered two Blue Cochins and received this one and a Black one (shown above, as well).

Big Blue is roughly 5 1/2 months old, so there's still a lot of growing and developing to do!

8. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Quote:You have a lovely Roo! You're right when you say they are slower to mature than other breeds. The lady I bought my roo from said it can take a year or more. I bought my black standard cochin roo Henry from Star Cochin's here in Ga. They are show breeders and she knew I was not planning to show so she suggested Henry, when I said I love his big comb and waddles she told me they try not to breed for large combs or wattles, in fact they really prefer for them to be like your boys.
    He's my Henry. A prince of a Roo! even if his comb is too big.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would love to picks of your boy in about 6 months!!!!

9. TrystInn

TrystInn Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    willkatdawnson,

What a gorgeous roo! I will positively report back in 6 months with a picture of Big Blue!

10. TrystInn

TrystInn Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I missed his six month mark, but here's him at a year! He's definitely a boy and has already sired the loveliest blue chicks with Scarlett (the RIR who wouldn't let him crow). My profile pic is one of his. He's just now starting to grow in his tail feathers, but my oh my, does he hate having them photographed!

[​IMG]

Thank you, everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by