What color is this Coturnix chick?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ShayBaby, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Howdy all! I'm new to quails and just hatched some Coturnix today (and one 5 days ago, and a few more taking their sweet time in the bator.). I thought hatching chickens was addicting... these little guys are just the cutest little things ever!
    Anyways, so far I have some that hatched out what I assume is the typical pharaoh coloring.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    2 are whites (A&M, I guess)
    [​IMG]
    and one is dark like the pharaohs, but has no stripes down his back like those, the head markings are more solid, and the dark has a definite gingery/cinnamony sheen to it that's hard to capture in photos.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eggs purchased on eBay. Seller says they have these colors:
    "Normals, Tuxedo, Golden, Dark and White/A&M
    A few have a Cinnamon-like Reddish cast in the right light along with a few Light Brown/Fawn."

So what color would that last little guy be? :)

2. Reedgirl20

Reedgirl20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2012
    Eagle point, Oregon
    I would say your last chick is a tuxedo

3. ShayBaby

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Oh yay! I suspected that myself, but the reddish color was throwing me off. Thanks for the reply!

4. bigrob83

bigrob83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Texas
    looks like tuxedo to me
    never know what you will get though they change colors so much as they grow
    hard to explain but I think we managed to breed a new color out of ours lol
    went from tuxedo to a&m white and golds 1st generation
    to a&m whites and golds carrying the tuxedo gene 2nd generation
    produced out our first ever gold/white mix gold bird white wings 3rd generation. still changing its colors as it grows but it should be pretty

one little bit of advice. personally I think starting your chicks out on paper towel instead of shavings
    will help with leg problems when they are fresh out of the egg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  5. ShayBaby

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Thanks for the reply! I have two others that I know for sure are tuxedos but this little guy is still so much redder than them. I was thinking maybe a Rosetta type..? But I'll be very happy with just a reddish tuxedo, too!

Yours sounds beautiful! :)

I hear conflicting opinions on the paper towel vs shavings thing lol. I usually keep them on paper towel in the incubator for a day or two before putting them in the brooder (those quail babies in the pics were the exceptions to this as they were picking on a special needs sibling I've started a thread about in the Raising Chicks forum). I've raised 60+ (small in comparison to many folks I know) chicks on shavings and haven't had any leg issues yet thankfully. I appreciate advice though, thanks!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by