1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color is this Coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Game Bird Guy, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
  2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I have 4 like those, that hatched from some shipped eggs. They are only 4 weeks old, but the coloring is very close.

3. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    who did you get the eggs from?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    They look like Manchurian with wildtype still attached. Syble took those photos I believe? SHe is from Michigan.

5. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Quote:syble did take the photos, they were on albertachickens. I was just so surprised to see that I was not the only one with this mutation. They're certainly quite neat though. I hope to start breeding them more, maybe cross them with some other colors, I'm thinking silvers. Any thoughts? [​IMG]

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    It's just a golden!

Everyone who raises "Golden" may have this mutation....along with several browns, and sometimes white (Throw away birds)
    Why does everyone who has some sort of different color pattern on a "GOLDEN" bird, feel the need to come up with a name for it? It tastes exactly the same from the frying pan.

You can not line breed golden with 90-100% results. It's a crap shoot at best.

Just my opinion!

7. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

I call my spotty ones coffee foam with chocolate sprinkles and my white ones marshmellows.

8. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Some folks ENJOY the different markings /colors that show up on their birds.For some of us it isn't just about the eggs and the meat,it's about mutations and the fun of watching our Coturnix surprise us with something a little bit different .
    i have at least 4 different looking Goldens and none of them look like that mix of gold and wild. i personally think the mixture is interesting [​IMG]

9. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    Quote:Although I'm sure something like that mutation can show up in the golden range, i can assure you its not a golden. It breeds about as true as a golden(meaning that there is a bit of variation in the end product but you can easily see they all belong to the same group). Chicks hatch looking almost indistinguishable from normal browns, they begin to feather in like normal browns, but become more golden... they show traits from rosettas, wilds and goldens all mixed together but all still expressed.

I of course cannot speak for the posters birds, but seeing as its mine that were posted photos of, i can assure you they are not goldens (and so far incapable of throwing goldens)

10. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:Some folks ENJOY the different markings /colors that show up on their birds.For some of us it isn't just about the eggs and the meat,it's about mutations and the fun of watching our Coturnix surprise us with something a little bit different .
    i have at least 4 different looking Goldens and none of them look like that mix of gold and wild. i personally think the mixture is interesting [​IMG]

It's beautiful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by