What color is this? (Genetics behind it?) Pics and Vid

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenWisperer, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Songster

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Hey guys!

Just got this WONDERFUL little girl today - I named her Faun.

I'm fairly sure Faun is an EE, but was sold as Ameraucana (of course). I have NEVER, ever seen this kind of coloring before! She is so beautiful. Does anyone have any clue what kind of color you might coin her? She is only 4 months old.

But most importantly, how do you think I should/could reproduce her coloring? I'm not really "experienced" with color projects or color genetics in chickens. But She is so lovely.

Here are some pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video -

2. catwalk

catwalk Songster

May 19, 2009
    blue birchen???

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Birchen mix... and I'd say close to being Ameraucana... but would still call it an EE.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd say birchen blue as well- with penciling. Gorgeous! What about crossing her with a white roo? Maybe she'd have the dominant colors.

5. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    Oh my, she is so pretty ! [​IMG] I just love EE's. I would think any blue or white roo would keep that color going. Although i have had experience yet. Thats what i would try though.

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i might even go splash with that because hopefully her color is more dominate so you probably should use a roo that is more recessive in traits....but i could be wrong just starting to grasp this whole thing as well

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    WOW....a White Laced Black Wyandotte just builded in my head....she is something...[​IMG]

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Songster

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Thanks guys!

Im definately very happy I have her. Such a sweet, beautiful girl.

I was thinking blue or white roo as well. Wasnt sure.....because I can tell she has quite a few things going on with color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: