What color is this hen?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by CORNISH_MAN, Jan 11, 2012.

1. CORNISH_MAN

CORNISH_MAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    Just picked up this hen but im not sure what color she is. I was thinking purple but Im not quite sure. She looks a little different than the other purple hens Ive had. Here are a few photo's, the last one is her next to an India blue hen. Maybe shes just a light colored IB? What do you guys think? I bet deerman will know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    No idea on the color but it's a lovely bird [​IMG]

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    IB White Eye

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    So she isn't a purple?

5. CORNISH_MAN

CORNISH_MAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    WOW, I didnt see that one coming. I would have never thought IB white eye especially since she has no white on her. Thanks alot deerman.

Thanks! She is a beautiful bird, I didnt know what she was but I knew I had to have her. [​IMG]

6. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    I would have guessed purple too, but I've not seen an IB white-eyed hen, so I can't be certain.

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yep I agree with her being IB white eyed. How much white a hen has varies quite a bit, from none like her to a "chessboard" of silvery grey and white feathers.

The amount or placement of white feathers can change over the years. It's especially noticeable with yearling hens as they fully mature- some are born with little or no white then have hundreds at 4 yrs. The reverse also happens... a "chessboard" yearling can become rather solid colored at maturity.

Much more reliable are the sugar-frosted look(when she moves around you may notice a whitish cast to the feathers) with or without a greyish color on the peahen's bodies. These are more consistent than white feathers.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    yes the frosted look....or grey cast........is what show its a IB White eye.....purple hens will be more rust brown, like a cameo except cameo hen will not have the green or colored feathers in the neck

9. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    good to know [​IMG]

10. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Ooh okay that makes since! I just thought she looked strange because her neck feathers looked more purple/blue, but I guess that is just a variation. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by