what color is this silkie chick?? ***cute baby chick pics!**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sunket77, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Hi everyone! ok this little golden nugget was born today! Mom is buff and I didn't realize there is a possibility of two dads! She was in a run/coop with a sizzle roo, not sure what color he is, maybe you can tell me! And the other possible father is a very young cockerel, I just realized he was old enough to start mating. I don't think he is a good looking silkie so I really didn't want to breed him he is the blue one in the pic. but to me he look more grey, I'm no silkie expert so I'm not sure, he just doesn't look SQ to me. I also have an undetermined splash that I think would be to young to breed (if it's a boy that is but I am leaning toward pullet) in the pic with the sizzle. I don't think this chick is a sizzle but right off the bat looks like a good quality silkie, if it's a standard color for showing that would be awesome! The toes and foot feathering look good and it even has a nice vault (to my understanding that can help with a good crest?) But it's little feathers are buff and what looks like blue, could it be splash? Is splash a qualifying color for show? I will post more pics as it feathers out but it sure is cute!

Here is the blue or grey little cockerel

[​IMG]

this is the sizzle any ideas what color he is? (I know with sizzles it doesn't matter they do not qualify as a breed but it would be nice to know)

[​IMG]

and here is the precious little baby, mom is in the last pic for color refrence

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I wish the pictures where bigger! I hope you can tell! my sizzle is shy so I had to take the pic from outside the run

3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Can't tell. Need larger pics.

4. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    of the chick or the others? photobucket automatically shrinks them to this size I am not sure how to fix it any suggestions?

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Looks like a little partridge chick, if it is congrats that's a really hard color to get, I got one of those this last hatch but it died.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Doesn't look partridge; colour is not very good, so hard to tell, but I would guess splash. Any variety is easy to get if you have the right parents [​IMG]

I don't use photobucket, but imagine is has settings that you can alter. Could also be the settings on your camera. You can try uploading them into your UPLOADS section on BYC.

7. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    We just had another that looks more blue. I would say splash also unless I somehow got a lemon blue or something like that. I am kicking myself for not getting that other roo out sooner, he just turned out funny looking. How soon can you tell if a chick is a sizzle? I am going to take them outside for good lighting later and take pics again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by