What color is this Silkie cockerel..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cowdoggin, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Cowdoggin

Cowdoggin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Long story short, we got a (Silkie) chick to go w/a singly hatched Belgium d' Anver chick, who did not believe he was actually a chicken the first 2 wks of his live..Anyway We was told the Silkie was a blue, but this is how he turned out.. So would like to know what color he is and possible try to find some pullets to go w/him.. Never cared for Silkies but I do like him.. OH and I know you cant actually tell from pictures, but how do his quality seem to appear.. he is about 4 -5 mths in the picture, either way he is far better looking then the 2 monstrosities that we got earlier last summer..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The color is Partridge. It really looks like a pullet to me. Has it crowed?

3. Cowdoggin

Feb 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK so I went out and took some more pictures.. of its head.. so hopefully you can give me some better info

As far as I can tell he is a he, and he has always 'acted' like a he.. that being said I have had some chicks that have turned totally opposite of their behavior.. over the last 10+years of raising chickens.. My daughter's E. E. hen has even "Rooster ""clucked" early one morning when the sun came up.. she got to sleep out under the stars and decided to be a Rooster that morning..it was very funny..

Anyway here are best pictures I could get, as he would not hold his head still..

4. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    He is a cockerel. Those spiked streamers coming out of his crest are an indicator. As for his quality, his crest and beard are on the smaller side. His back is a little long and his tail needs filling in. A silkie should be 'curvy' lol. But he is young, and has a lot of filling out to do still, so he will change in the months to come. He is leagues better than hatchery silkies I've seen, especially in the 'fluff', comb size, and foot feathering departments (I've seen them that have no foot feathers at all!). Paired up with some nice hens, I think he could make some good chicks.
    [​IMG]
    Here's one of my cockerels that has a nice crest and wing carriage, but a longer back and could use a more filled in cushion

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This cockerel has a shorter back, and better cushion and tail, but a smaller crest. I like his curves, but he took a looong time to fill out. I almost gave him away at around 4 months, because he looked pretty shabby. Given a few months, he blossomed. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.
    And to show how a not so perfect father can make beautiful babies with the right hen, this is the above cockerels father:
    [​IMG]
    This guy had a sparse beard, sparse crest, poor tail with hard feathers, large comb, even missing outer toenails. He did have good foot feathering, and thankfully that passed on to his son, without the other traits.
    I would like to see your cockerel maybe at a year old, too see how he finishes filling out.

5. Cowdoggin

Feb 3, 2014
    Thank you RockerHen, for all your info and Yaa.. we was right..lol

I do understand the waiting, the 'filling out' part and trying to match for strengths and weakness to get something better.. We used to raise Mini Rex Rabbits for ARBA shows.. And I was cross breeding hatchery stock to get a better Dual Purpose Bird that actually had meat on their bones (I succeeded w/my project).. Now trying get into the Dorking, Belgium d' Anver and ..now Silkies.. and yes I have seen some horrible looking Silkies. Daughter wanted some black Silkies to see if she like them.. so Got 2 black colored chicks and apparently the people was breeding Silkies, just to be breeding Silkies.. they were ugly..The guy was not very nice to his birds either.

Honestly, I was never big on the Silkie, But this one I really like.. didnt think he was top notch, but a far better Silkie then the other 2 we had. Was going to re-home him as we have nothing to go w/him, but we like him too much..I knew his 'bread' was small ..and his tail.. but also know, he is still fairly young so.. but did not know anything else about Silkies. And it is nice to know, that he is better then I thought and with time will "hopefully" improve to be a nice quality rooster..

We do like the partridge color, so any Ideas as to were I can obtain some chicks or even hatching eggs.. and IF we find some pullet/hens around here "What" should we look for?

I will do my best to keep you posted on his growth, so you can see how He is progressing..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by