1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color is this Silkie Pullet??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Elite Silkies, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Mother is a Buff Showgirl and Father is a Lavender Rooster. I was trying to breed for Isabel's but the first generation is maturing into this color. I think this is a very pretty bird, she is actually prettier than the pics show, but she doesn't like her picture taken, so she would not cooperate with me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    how the heck does she see ?

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:They peer out from the side between their feathers. They DO walk into things.

They are adorable creatures- divas, really. I have some, too.

Op, I don't know the answer to your question- I'm just here to admire the silkie. [​IMG]

4. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    She is still a pullet and maturing so I am hoping her crest gets a little bigger [​IMG] I have others with alot larger crest than hers.

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    she looks blue partidge but she probly just lavender split

6. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    So pretty!

7. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I don't know what to call her, but do know what to do --- send her & the lavender rooster to me! hehehehehe

Seriously, though! Since lavender needs two copies to be visual lavender & she carries one copy, I would breed her back to the lavender cockbird (unless you have an unrelated one). Next generation, the buff should be diluted by the lavender to make isabel. This is faster than breeding her to another with her coloring.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  8. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] My husband might divorce me, she is his, lol. He only has 2 out the ummmm 70 or 80 I have [​IMG] He saw her and thought she was the prettiest one he had ever seen.

I do plan on breeding her back to the lavender and hoping I get Isabel this time around.

9. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] My husband might divorce me, she is his, lol. He only has 2 out the ummmm 70 or 80 I have [​IMG] He saw her and thought she was the prettiest one he had ever seen.
    I do plan on breeding her back to the lavender and hoping I get Isabel this time around.

I have hatched 5 this color (the other 4 are showgirls, but not one of them has been a cockerel/rooster so far)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  10. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    blue partridge Verry pretty Let me know when you have eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by