1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color is this silkie Roo? What colors can I get?!?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RIRJen, Jun 11, 2011.

1. RIRJen

RIRJen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Hi! I thought he was a black...but he's got some silvery-ish-ness (lol) on some of his feathers. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    Also...I have some chicks out of him and our 2 black hens and a white showgirl...what colors can I pull out of black and whites? (assuming that the roo is a black LOL)
    Thanks!

2. RIRJen

Mar 7, 2008
    One of the babies out of him looks to be blue??? is that possible? I'm still learning colors on these guys so who knows if I'm right LOL [​IMG]

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    black, might be lavender split

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    A lot depends on his genetic background but he could be black with silver leakage.

5. RIRJen

Mar 7, 2008
    I'll get a picture of the little chick out of him...kinda looks blue-ish or lavendar....not sure.... do blues start out light and then get a darker blue as they get thier feathers in?

6. RIRJen

Mar 7, 2008
    [​IMG]

7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    looks lavender to me
    but post the pic on the silkie post

8. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Probably a light blue. If it keeps that darker head coloring it is a blue. Which means you probably have a dark blue in your flock.

9. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    im pretty sure blues start out darker and get slightly lighter with age

10. RIRJen

Mar 7, 2008
    Quote:The roo is the only one I don't know the color on. We have one white showgirl hen and two black hens...and those two are jet black, no question on thier color. [​IMG] I'm guessing I need to get a new Roo so I stop pulling weird colors. What varieties are recognized in Silkies?
    Thanks everyone for all your input!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by