What color is this silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lillypug, Aug 5, 2010.

1. lillypug

lillypug Fleur De Lis Farm

Mar 21, 2010
    Louisiana
    What color is this little fella?
    [​IMG]

2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    That is a buff silkie [​IMG] It jus has a lot of blue/black feathers. In the buff coloring, it is called smut. [​IMG] If planning to show, you want as little possible smut in your buffs. Cute bird!

3. lillypug

Mar 21, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the quick reply. Should the ones with any smut be kept from breeding?

4. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:It depends if you are breeding for show or not. If you just want cute silkies for broodies or running around the yard, then they would fulfill your breeding purposes. If you are trying to breed towards the buff standard, then I would not use the bird for breeding. Buff in silkies is very tricky variety to breed. Normally there is too much smut, or you get a clear bird that is too light buff with a white undertone. Buffs tend to get redder combs and lighter skin than the other color varieties.

5. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    You want a nice dark golden buff color like this:

[​IMG]

Here is a clear pullet with no smut:

[​IMG]

6. lillypug

Mar 21, 2010
    Louisiana
    Wow. Now it makes sense to me why my buffs are such a wide variety of shades of buff. From a beautiful light to nearly a rich almost red, then I have some with the smuttiness. Interesting![​IMG]

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Yep, you have some that hatch completely clear and other that are really smutty!

Brother and Sister (pullet has poop on her wing)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. lillypug

Mar 21, 2010
    Louisiana
    My silkies always get pooped on too! ROFL! Oh the dangers of not being able to fly onto the roost! LOL

9. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I love silkies! Theyre so cute! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by