1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color is this silkie?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by hennypenny99, Jun 23, 2011.

1. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Look at this silkie baby..... I bought the egg on e-bay and they were supposed to be silkie eggs. Well it looks like a silkie but it's barred in color? Can silkies even come barred? I didn't think they could. Could she be a cross between a barred cochin and a silkie? That would be my best guess. Look at her little fluff ball tail in the third picture. She is super friendly and adorable but I wanted to raise pure silkes and I am not certain she is 100% silkie. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is another of my babies. I would call her blue.
    [​IMG]

This little girl is just beautiful. I have no question about her color - obviously she is black. I just wanted to show her off. Her crest is so full she can barely see and she is only 12 weeks old. I just think she is beautiful and I am going to let my kids show her in the local fair this year.
    [​IMG]

Oh and see the guineas in the pics? I bought those yesterday from a local lady. SOOO glad I found her! She raises all kinds of fowl - chickens, turkeys, and guineas. I am excited about starting guineas on my mini farm. I bought 8 - 5 pearl, 2 pied, and one brown. They are 4 1/2 weeks old and I also bought 2 newborn bourbon red turkey polts!

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Thats a cuckoo silkie [​IMG]
    the one you think is blue is splash.

3. hennypenny99

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Oh another Speciall thing about my little mystery chick... barred silkie.... She has 6 toes!!! One of her toes splits on the end and it has two toes and toenails on it!! LOL! Perhaps she is just inbred?

4. hennypenny99

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Really? Splash! & Cuckoo... Time to google!! I need to go back on ebay and look at the eggs I bought. It seems like one of the batches I bought did have a ton of colors in her stock. Whatever she is she is the sweetest in the whole bunch.

5. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    Silkies often have extra toes! It's just a trait of that breed.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Cuckoo is a project color in Silkies. I believe there's a thread about them on the Breeds/Genetics section. I'm also under the impression that they are a result from crossing Silkies and Barred Cochins.

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Yeah but as far as I know they usually only have 5 toes, not 6.

8. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Quote:Yeah but as far as I know they usually only have 5 toes, not 6.

All my silkies have 6 toes--i have 7​

9. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    cuckoo silkie!?! have not seen these. time to do research of my own and get me some eggs! very pretty looking. im a sucker for different breeds in the cuckoo patterns![​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    LUCKY!

Cuckoo silkies are a rarity!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by