What color is this? White with colored feathers.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrazyCatNChickenLady, Jul 30, 2011.

1. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    They're Olive egger crosses. I think the mama's are my 1/2 cochin 1/2 olive eggers and daddy is an olive egger. I'm thinking these genes were passed from the cochin(grandma).
    I'm guessing like 8-10 of the chicks are colored like this out of 19. Some are white with black feathers, 1 is white with blue feathers, the little girl(?) pictured is a really light blue(?) with black spots, and there is also 2 white with colored brown feathers.

What is this color and how did it pop up? Did the mama's have some recesive mottling or something.

This little guy has blue spots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little darker shade chick (not white!) with black spots and more white chicks with black spots in the background.
    [​IMG]

Daddy. a lot of the babies look like him too.
    [​IMG]

I also have olive eggerxolive egger in the same hatch but I'm almost positive all these came from the cochinX's.
    Moms:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is 'granny'. Mama to the mama's.
    [​IMG]

I have all the parents and had the grandparents.

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Splash. [​IMG] It means they got 2 blue genes.

3. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    splashes. but not just typical splashes, as you can see by the feathers of this chick, they will shows hints of feather patterns here and there due to the mixed lineage:

Quote:based on the white in the plumage here, I'd say dad is a splash (meaning he's got 2 copies of the blue gene) as well:

Quote:The likely mother of these chicks, as the others would produce blue chicks since they themselves do not show the characteristic coloration of a blue or a splash.

Quote:

4. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I have most of the chicks marked as who their mama is. I separated them and banded them at hatch and they came from all 3 hens. I got no blue and only 2 black chicks, about 6 browns, and the rest look like Alfredo, white and orange..

I think I just realized I thought I read the dictionary, but I'm barely past the 'A's!!!

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    dominant white gene over black will produce a splash looking bird without it having any blue genes, when they get older they will probably get some red highlights too.

They remind me of the chicks I get out of my brown leghorn roo over white leghorn hen. All look Splash even tho no blue gene present since the dom white from the leghorn hen tries to cover up the roosters brown and black genes.

6. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Quote:This makes a lot more sense to me.

explains this little girl maybe?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by