What color is this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jerryse, Dec 8, 2010.

1. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    The second picture is a cross of Araucana X EE. It appears to be the exchanger pattern with barring added. The first picture is one I found of a game cock which seems to match this color pattern. Any ideas? Thanks, Jerry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fixed your image codes. [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is a very leaky splash or blue barred. (Basically a barred bird with splash or blue coloring and some gold leakage) I'm figuring quite a bit that the barring came from the Araucana side, as this color here from some of mine is starting to be a common color, originating from Gary Ramey's flock:

This here is a gold-leaking blue barred Araucana

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    The Araucana rooster was splashed, but apparently not blue-splashed as no blues were produced. The barring came from the EE hen carrying dominant white. There were also black hens in this mating. Thank you for the pictures and quick response.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Had to have been "blue splash" (there's only one type of splash [​IMG] ) - Because that resulting bird is clearing carrying a blue allele.

Did the Araucana look like this -

[​IMG]

Or this -

[​IMG]

Or this?

[​IMG]

6. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Sometimes peple will easily mistake some leaking for some splishing but Illias correct as often. Splash is Blue Splash, actually Blue Splash is just Splash.. Actually if you can imagine it is not leaking but the opposite of leaking whereas the gold is what leaks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The first Rooster you posted is a American Game and the pattern is Dom. (Dominique).
    Yours looks like a Splash.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by