what color is....??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by soap&eggs, Jun 22, 2011.

1. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    i seen on a posters bio..they have isabel silkies...what color would this be ? also, i have a white cross bred pullet with splashes of yellow and splashes of light gray . two splash colors instead of just one...is there a color name for this ?

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    soap&eggs :

i seen on a posters bio..they have isabel silkies...what color would this be ? also, i have a white cross bred pullet with splashes of yellow and splashes of light gray . two splash colors instead of just one...is there a color name for this ?

First of all, you should write " I saw on a posters bio.." or you could write "I have seen".

Isabel or isabella refers to the ground color of certain chicken varieties. This ground color is due to the lavender gene.

Please post a picture of the bird in question.

Tim​

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:now how do u get that color

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    That is not isabel. Look at my avatar; she was mostly isabel (with some lavender).

Isabel, white and buff, for comparison.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    What's the difference between "isabel" and "porcelain"?

Rancher

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    True porcelain has two copies of mottle; in silkies, mottle has not yet been bred into porcelains, but other than that, they should have the same genetic makeup.

An isabel is essentially a lavender diluted buff; ideally a unicoloured bird with no black pigment (diluted to lavender) showing.

8. soap&eggs

Jul 22, 2010
    Quote:First of all, you should write " I saw on a posters bio.." or you could write "I have seen".

Isabel or isabella refers to the ground color of certain chicken varieties. This ground color is due to the lavender gene.

Please post a picture of the bird in question.

Tim

thank you Tim for the proper english correction....as for picture of chicken in question..i am unable to post pictures.

9. soap&eggs

Jul 22, 2010
    Quote:your chickens are very beautiful...and i believe it was your bio i first saw the isabel coloring mentioned..thank you for showing. & info regarding this color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by