What color Maran?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tyfani, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Tyfani

Tyfani Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Orland, CA
    Hello! I'm new the BYC and this is actually my first post [​IMG] I've been lurking for a while gathering information and I think this is a wonderful forum!

I got my first chicks around easter of this year and they've been great fun. I got 5 chicks to start with and about 2 weeks later I was at the feed store and they had a batch of just hatched Maran chicks (I think I was actually the first to buy any). I bought 3 of them. There was about 30 chicks I think, all of them were the black/silver colored chicks and there was one single gold/silver colored chick with the same pattern as the black/silvers. I got two black/silver and the oddball.

The two black/silver chicks are developing into handsome black copper roosters, but little miss oddball is a dusty brown with a greyish undertone?

I was mostly wondering what color she'd be considered, she does have the feathered legs so I'm pretty sure she is a maran but while googling I haven't been able to come across any other marans that look like her. Maybe she's a mix? She isn't the most remarkable looking thing, but I'm just curious if there's any term for her color!

Here's a couple pictures. She didn't wanna stay still, hence the cage. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hi

WELCOME TO BYC !!!!!!!!!!! Why do you guys waste time lurkin around, come on in and join us as soon as you find BYC, it is a must for anyone with chickens. But not that you are here, welcome to the family.

Where are your from ? I dont think the bird is a pure Maran unless you happen to be in the UK or somewhere with the rarer colors ( I think they have Reds there) And I doubt you would find a rare color like that in a feed store.

So I'm thinking she is a mix of some sort if you say she has feathered leggs, otherwise she looks like a Production Red.

3. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    It looks similar to a Wheaten Marans originating from Black Copper stock (as opposed to a "regular" Wheaten).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  4. Tyfani

Tyfani Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Orland, CA
    Thank you for the welcome and the response!
    I'm located near Chico, CA. I actually wasn't going to buy her, but she stood out so much from all the other black chicks that I couldn't resist. I managed to get a better picture of her though, and of her leg feathers. I tried to get her into the shade so the sun wouldn't brighten her up, but she's a fast onry little demon. I'm sure you can see her irritation from my pestering! [​IMG]

Thanks again for the responses. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@ le neige - I'll google that now, thanks!

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:That may be true as well, I have heard of Wheatens poping out of BC lines

6. le neige homme

Jul 15, 2010
    Yup, I'm totally sure that's a Wheaten from a BC flock. I have one that looks just like her. Did you buy her from the nice lady with the petting zoo?

edit: oh, I see that you bought her from a feed store. Which one?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  7. le neige homme

Jul 15, 2010
    Quote:That may be true as well, I have heard of Wheatens poping out of BC lines

Yes, the Wheaten gene is recessive and is hiding out amongst Black Copper flocks all over the place, even in France. But, these Wheatens come out looking like this because they have the Mahogany gene and they leak black.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:If it is some form of "Wheaten" (its not a true Wheaten) I would think that it is a form of a "Blue Wheaten" with it having the Blue in it where Wheaten has Black..

Chris

9. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I don't think she is blue...[​IMG]

10. le neige homme

Jul 15, 2010
    Quote:um, I already explained what it was. Did you miss the part where I said that I have one? It's a Wheaten that came from Black Copper stock. It is a "true" Wheaten, it just has some extra coloring genes in addition to all of its Wheaten-ness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by