What color Marans is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ekpiojda, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ekpiojda

ekpiojda New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    Franklinton, NC
    Hi,

I know this isn't the best or clearest of pictures but it's all I have at the moment. This is a 2011 rooster that I raised and then gave away because I was told by the breeder that his color is considered what is called an "ugly copper". His brother is a gorgeous blue copper, exactly what I wanted. However, now the blue copper has a bum leg and I don't think I will be able to use him. I have had a couple of people tell me he is Birchen. I would love to get some opinions from a few more experienced Marans peeps as there is a possibility I can get him back. I am patiently waiting to get better photos.

Thanks in advance,

Beth

[​IMG]

2. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    He looks like a Birchen Maran to me. Handsome fellow.

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi! He is a Birchen. He is a nice looking boy. If you use him for breeding more Silver Black or Silver Blue Birchens your best bet, IMO, is to use another Silver Black or Silver Blue Birchen hen who has very clean clear silver hackles. This male has what is referred to as a pale gold leakage coming through in the silver. This means that he is split for gold and silver genes. Some of his offspring will show some gold leakage. If nice bright clean silver is what you are after do not use the offspring that show any leakage and only use the offspring that show good silver. Mating one of this males male offspring that has good silver hackle, saddle and wing bow color back to his mother who is nicely colored in the silver dept., should give you a nice percentage offspring that will show a nice silver color and
    some offspring that may still show some gold leakage.

4. ekpiojda

ekpiojda New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    Franklinton, NC
    Thank you for the opinions! And thanks, pinkchick, for all that helpful info! Now it's time to find a replacement and try to get him back...[​IMG]

5. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    Thanks Pink for your help on the handsome fellow above as it helps me with my birchens as well.

I don't have a silver blue birchen hen, only blue copper and blues....so which direction should I go in that case or am I at a dead end?

Thanks!

6. Sara Jayne

Sara Jayne Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2012
    thank you thank you I have been surching to find out what my roo was for months I think I have a female too can you check these pics out and tell me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as you can see the first pic he is standing in the back ground.

7. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Looks like a black sexlink, and yea the roo is a birchen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by