What color of Silkie please help

I can see your poll. I have a horrible time deciding which silkie color is my favorite. I like porcelain and lavender but true red is gorgeous too. And honestly, it may be ordinary but there is nothing prettier than a really fluffy pure white silkie. I have 18 Bobbie Porto eggs in my incubator now and another 6 eggs from another breeder under my girls. Plus a couple of babies that are 3 weeks old from a not so great hatch (my one broody who can't be trusted not to get bored and wander off). The eggs from Georgia are mostly grays, blues and white (i've been wanting a nice gray for while now). Bobbi's eggs are a mix of several colors but a lot of red and porcelain with a possibility of some black, white and partridge. I love good looking fluffy birds but I doubt I will ever show. Showed dogs for too many years and got tired of it. I learned some genetics when I did the dogs and have learned a lot more in the past couple of years about chickens. I want typey fluffy birds, perfect toes and combs and honestly I don't care that much about colors.

Thanks for ur replie I like the porcelain hens but the porcelain roosters have this really ugly color but I would still consider it as I am asking what color is people's favorite mostly because I want to breed them and show my favorite of splash but I wanted to know from someone else's perspective

Breedng is labor of love. So pick what YOU love. Silkies are wonderful in any color. Many breeders breed black, blue and splash together. I think they sometimes find splash to splash can get a little washed out after a few generations. There are several charts on here with the blue/black/splash pairings. Blue to blue can give you splash. It also might be easier to find nice splashes than nice porcelains. I used to think I did not like black so much until I hatched some. I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful a black can be in person Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that porcelain is still not one of the approved show colors. You can show in AOV (any other variety) but I don't think you can advance to best of breed. You can look up the standard of perfection (abbreviated SOP) for silkies and see what the approved colors are.

I think it is great you are taking your time before you jump in. I'm sure it will result in better stock and an overall better breeding program.

Yes if I get splash they will be bred with blue like the breeder I will be getting them from but yet again the porcelain rooster look funny in color but those porcelain hens are so pretty. The splash are pretty eye candy all together and I like the blues to so the blue and splash arnt going to bother me. But I would love to have others perspective I am not breeding for money I just like how calm and fluffy they are plus I like how often they go broody so I can hatch egg without the incubator to fill orders of my other birds that I will be selling and they can hatch there own to sell or put into another breeding pen and select the best of them to keep up with he flock

Hello does anyone know any of these breeders or if they still breed or if there birds are show quality what colors they breed and if they sell eggs thanks

Back
Top Bottom