What color/pattern is this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Darth Egger, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Darth Egger

Darth Egger New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    [​IMG]

The silver (or is it gold - I honestly can't tell, I think it's silver) is much more developed now in the hackles and saddles.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    That would just be called Black with Silver leakage, not a real pattern.

3. Darth Egger

Darth Egger New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    Okay.

I'm pretty sure there's a little more to it than that.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Uhhhh No Thats basicly it. Especially in a mixed bird like that you wouldnt get a true pattern. Do you know what its mixed with ? I'm guessing its got some silkie in it but thats just typical look when crossing with something predominantly black you usally get gold or silver leakage and your bird is a prime example of where the leakage usually comes in at. The bird was probably mostly black solid black when it was younger right ? What other " pattern" do you think it would be then ?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    RAREROO is right. The only other description I would give is the feathers that have white on them, some look to have white lacing the black. Otherwise, it doesn't really have a recognized pattern.

6. Darth Egger

Darth Egger New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    The daddy was an OEGB, so what would his pattern have been? Birchen? Silver Duckwing? Are we able to ascertain from this cockerel's photo?

edit: yes, the mother was a Silkie.

I realize that it is essentially just "black with with silver leakage", but there is a pattern to the silver, that's what I'm trying to figure out. It's not just a random mess.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  7. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Also note the duckwing (wing triangle). That's not typical.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Silver can come in many, "Forms" or, "Patterns".
    Some Examples of this would be Silver Birchen, Silver Duck-wing, Silver Quill, Mealy Gray, Silver Blue, Columbian, Black Tail White, Sex-link White etc.

I wouldn't conciser him a true, "color" or pattern. A Birchen and Duck-wing both have a Wing Bow and like Henk said the Duck-wing will have a Wing Bay (Wing Triangle).

[​IMG]

Chris

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    When cockerels are first growing in their adult plumage, it takes awhile for the pattern to become evident. It looks to me like it will have a duckwing pattern, which can be bult on any base except extend black or birchen. How correct the pattern is will depend on hte particular mix of genes he inherited. The bird does look to have silkie in his background. If he is a 1st generation cross, likely few if any of his genes are "pure" (two copies), and his offspring will inherit a wide assortment of genes, and can look very different that him.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:There is a chance he is golden (one copy of silver, one of gold). Updated photos would be nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by